Sunday, July 24, 2022

My Poem Honoring My Friendship With William Barber Bancroft - I Could Not Stand Before You

Today I posted three separate poems (in 3 separate blog posts)  by Barber Bancroft that were written in his late teens. His impact on my life during those high school and college years was considerable.

I wrote this poem three weeks after Barber's untimely death while teaching his World Literature class at Auburn University.   



I Could Not Stand Before You


"Let us go then, you and I,

When the evening is spread out against the sky

Like a patient etherized upon a table;

Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,

The muttering retreats

Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels

And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:

Streets that follow like a tedious argument

Of insidious intent

To lead you to an overwhelming question …

Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”

Let us go and make our visit."


T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.

-----------------------------------------

I could not stand before you today,

if I had not met Barber Bancroft.


Once upon a time,

when living in the teenage crucible

he took heat and applied

it to my amorphous self,

the one gone underground to

avoid formation.


He bound me to the forge,

watched the dross burn away

then,

with determined mind

tempered by love

-waited –

for the white hot

moment to bring down

the foundry hammer.


How the sparks did fly when the hammer fell!


The solitary bell like ring

of the metallic maul

rose an octave,

paused,

then caroled as he

sculpt,

stamped,

forged,

and pounded a fiery brand

that only we two could see.


Today I wear that brand with

a grief flavored joy,

and an intimate awareness of

my responsibility to translate him

with

each new day,

each new step,

each new breath.





Rod Scott - November 24, 2004

RIP Barber Bancroft
      August 9, 1956 - November 5, 2004



============================================================================


The writer Robert Smallwood created a blog post called "Remembering Barber Bancroft" that contains comments and poems about people's memories and impressions of Barber. 

No comments: